Tuesday, July 3, 2012


July 3, 2012

Greetings from Grenada!
Since our arrival, things have been slowly but surely coming together. We took the first few days to explore a bit of the island and become acquainted with the local philosophy and culture and finally, we are starting to really make moves towards projects, which will help connect CFFI’s name into local communities. Some of these projects include working on obtaining rabies vaccines so farmers can have animals for fertilizer, outreach projects into schools in efforts to reconnect children to farming practices, making wheel barrows to give the locals, and researching on fermentation and the distribution of cocoa varieties around the island.
I think while we are down here it is most imperative to remember to create change from a bottom-up approach, as well as, on a small spatial and temporal scale which can be scaled out with time and new interns. The best we can do is to make connections, building trust and confidence within the locals.  I feel the worst we can do is impose assumptions about a culture until we learn it in and out.
Aside from these esteemed endeavors that we have developed, time here has been great for me! Kim has been more than welcoming and given us a great deal of insight to the local happenings. I feel much at home, taking in the beauty this country has to offer. A side project Kim has introduced me to for my free time is exploring my interest of floral arrangements. I am fortunate that the man who wins the Chelsea Flower show every year lives right here on the island. Kim has set me up with him so I can learn some about that, which I must say I’m excited about. Other than that we have just been soaking up the sun and enjoying ourselves. Yesterday, we went to work on a 30-acre farm belonging to a man named Kenneth Bell. It felt good to lend a hand.

Cheers!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment