Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Sunday Stroll

        Sunday morning the lot of us woke up pretty early to go hiking. We ate some porridge, mangos and toast to start off the day with some much needed carbs. We would later burn off all of that food times three! The group consisted of 11 of us. A diverse group, in terms of backgrounds. We had some experienced hikers and some newbies. We stuck together through it all though. The first part was through the rainforest/ brush. It was a fairly easy walk, until right at the end when we essentially had to slide on our tooshes down a steep hill to the river bed. From there the river bed was the pathway. We dodged downed trees, jumped over big rocks, climbed around waterfalls. At first I was a bit reluctant to go on this super long hike but once we got the river bed I was overjoyed to be there in that moment. I love doing that sort of rock hopping because it's more about skill and mental toughness than physical ability. I had to think three literal steps ahead of the one I was making in order to have a safe, sturdy path upon which to walk. The obstacles that we encountered would have made many people glance once and say "heck no," but having some seasoned veterans of this trail with us along with much determination we managed. The hardest part of the whole hike was going up two small waterfalls. The first one wasn't too bad, I got up by free lance rock climbing although it was slippery. The pride I had when I stood at the top of that was awesome. The second waterfall was another story and another caliber. Once everyone caught up, we sort of all stood there in front of this challenge with our mouths slightly ajar. 

It does not look hard, but it was!
                       Doubt was present in most of our minds. Our saving grace was the singular rope that hung from a tree at the top of the small falls. I still had some doubt considering I am scared of heights. Well, Sarah was the first person after Devon (Yvonne's son, who was leading us on the hike) to scale the wall. She is a seasoned adventurer so she made it up with only a bit of help. I took the plunge next. It was rough, to say the least. I got about two thirds of the way up and panicked. It was a moment I will never forget because my mind was split between being terrified that I would fall and being determined as anything to get to the top of that rock. The most crucial decisions in life often provoke these same thoughts, I have found. Half of me says to take the risk and the other half says to take the safe route. Although there is no correct answer, I personally think it is more exciting to take the risky choice. I think this is sort of a small story that describes what exactly we are doing here in Grenada. There are so many unknowns right now for myself and the other interns. As of now, we only have one general job which is to gather information. We could let the lack of structure get to us, or the difference in culture, or the occasional uncomfortable situation but those things are what should keep us going. I have been thinking a lot about how the world works, as well as humans and I whole heartedly think that how one sees life is up to the individual. So from here on out I am keeping a positive mindset about everything. I am here to help CFFI, in the long run, improve the lives of many farmers. Each day when I wake up I have the decision to take the risk, and I accept the challenge. I want to be put on edge, whether it be a conversation that needs to happen or a big rock I have to climb, I will find the power inside myself to do it. What CFFI is beginning is something remarkable that if committed to, can change many lives and that excites me profoundly.
See tiny Charlie at the bottom? The final waterfall was huge!
          I did end up getting to the top with some mental support from Devon and the group. Everyone else made it up the rock, too. The teamwork that we used was mostly mental during this adventure. Thank goodness for good people like the ones we are with here. I was so happy when I got to the top, other than my ripped up toe. Taking a risk can be scary at first but when the challenge is accomplished the feeling that follows cannot be duplicated. The rest of the hike threw a couple more curve balls at us however the final waterfall took my breath away. Although the final destination well worth the it, the journey was the part that really mean the most to me. I think this can be applied to life in many instances, especially in what we are starting to do here in Grenada for CFFI.
        Peace, love, earth _Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment